Happy Chinese New Year! What to expect, say and eat!
2014 is the year of the Horse. Those born under this sign are known to possess good communication skills and are cheerful and stubborn. They crave success, and they are popular and talented.
If you want to wish someone a Happy New Year, then say it in Chinese with "Gong Hei Fat Choi" in Cantonese or "Gong Xi Fa Cai" in Mandarin.
Things To Eat For Wealth And Prosperity
Tangerines: That’s because the Chinese word for orange and gold sound similar, while the word for tangerine also sounds like the Chinese word for luck.
Tray Of Togetherness: It’s customary to both receive guests and pay visits to friends and families with a Tray of Togertherness is filled with snacks like candied fruit melons (growth and health), dried coconut (friendship and unity) kumquats (gold and prosperity), lotus seeds (fertility), and longan (‘many sons') for guests to munch on throughout their stay. The tray should have eight compartments, the Chinese number for good luck.
Long Noodles: The longer the noodle, the longer the life span, or so the belief goes.
Whole Fish: The key to this dish is to serve the fish whole with head and tail intact to represent a good beginning and a good end for the coming year. Serving fish this way is also supposed to symbolize wealth, as the Chinese word for fish, ‘yu,’ sounds like the word for abundance.
Lettuce Wraps: In Cantonese, the word for lettuce sounds like rising fortune, which makes lettuce-wrapped foods popular at this time of year.
- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
- Make happy those who are near, and those who are far will come.
- He who hurries cannot walk with dignity.
- If you want 1 year of prosperity, grow grain. If you want 10 years of prosperity, grow trees. If you want 100 years of prosperity, grow people.
- If you want happiness for a lifetime; help someone else.
- A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood.
- If you hurry through long days, you will hurry through short years
- Forget the favors given; remember those received
What sign are you? Check out this chart to find the year you were born and what anmial it falls under. I am a dragon.